Thursday, October 8, 2009

An Excerpt from Desiderata

Desiderata: (Latin for "desired things", plural of desideratum) is an inspirational prose poem by Max Ehrmann about attaining happiness in life....

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence.......

.....And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God,
whatever you conceive Him to be.
And whatever your labors and aspirations,
in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace in your soul......

This is one piece of writing that I first came across in junior college.... it has comforted me, made me see a lot of things and meant different things to me at different times... Today, these particular paragraphs make sense to me as I try to make sense of the death of an old friend..... Of someone snatched away before her life even began...

Through everything we're all going through, the only things that came to mind when I heard that she was gone was
"Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in silence......."

And so I looked up the rest of it again to read to myself... and found meaning in it again.
Its an incredibly beautiful piece and if you haven't ever come across it, here it is for you.
I hope it gives to you all that it has given me.

1 comment:

Primitive Lyric said...

hey there,
you've been tagged!
http://onthepiccadilly.blogspot.com/